Thursday, July 8, 2010

Harvest and Out of town

Now into full summer mode with almost nonstop sunshine for the last 10 days or so, the garden (and the humans) are perking right up! Temperatures are finally getting HOT, and the plants are loving it!

Saturday's venture into the garden yielded the first new potatoes (Yukon Golds and Red Norlands), a few heads of fresh garlic (official harvest will occur at the end of July), more garlic scapes, a couple quarts of peas (picked for me by my kindly neighbor, as they are all growing on her side of the fence!), a gallon or so of kale, and chives and nasturtiums to round it out!

I don't think there's any meal that surpasses fresh new potatoes, boiled and served with butter, salt and pepper, and chopped chives:


With sauteed garlic scapes:


And fresh sweet pod peas sauteed in sesame oil and topped with a little soy sauce:


Things are moving right along in the garden. I found the first little green tomatoes, and these baby squashes on my Queensland Blue plants:

My vining nasturtiums are going absolutely bonkers, and getting hard to control! Here's a tendril that wound around a salvia flower and snapped it clean off its own plant!:


I hope you all are enjoying the bounty of the season, wherever you may live, and enjoying good food eaten with good people. And with that, I am going to be taking a bit of a blog break, as the summer has finally reached its pinnacle for me. An event I have been looking forward to for ages, the wedding of my brother Tighe and his lovely fiancee Lisia, will be taking place this next Wednesday, the 14th! So Matt and I are headed up to my hometown of Newport, Washington for 8 days, leaving on Saturday morning, for a week of wedding festivities and family reunion. I will be back into blogworld sometime after July 19th. Until then, I leave you with this meal grown entirely in my backyard, served simply, and eaten happily by two people on a sunny summer day in Portland!

No comments: