Sunday, October 28, 2012

Apples, Pears, Squash & Leaves

Well, hello there! Sorry, it's been awhile. Things keep being crazy, and above all else I'm longing for more time to be at home, do some sewing or knitting projects, and cook more often. Alas, school has the upper hand right now. Still, here's a few things that have been going on around here lately:

We went to an apple festival, and came home with a bunch of Spartans (one of my favorite varieties, grown by my dad) and McIntosh.




The main reason we didn't buy more than a couple dozen apples is that we had picked about 75 pounds of Asian pears earlier that day!
They are so delicious, and we have noted now that they don't ripen until mid-October. We're both too busy right now to manage any preserving, so we have been foisting big bagfuls off onto friends, coworkers and classmates, keeping only what we can eat fresh. Maybe I'll get a chance to do some baking soon--a pear crisp would hit the spot! After we picked, Matt pruned the pear tree, so all of our trees are looking good and healthy, although we still need to do some raking of leaves.

A big pile of scarlet runner beans are drying upstairs. I still can't get over the colors of the beans before they dry!

 We've been eating heaps of rainbow chard. Sauteed, steamed, mixed into a quiche, you name it.

All of this dill seed is now upside down in a paper bag upstairs, drying. I wasn't planning to collect and dry it, but found it in perfect condition in the garden, so decided to go for it.

I added a couple of blankets to my study spot on the loveseat. It's been chilly some of these days.

 The geraniums that Matt got for me early in the summer have moved from their hanging baskets on the front porch to the table in the living room. It's nice to have something blooming inside this time of year.

 Maybe I think this every year, but the leaves this fall have been particularly spectacular.

Last week saw the return of one of our favorite seasonal meals, baked squash and sausage. A staple from my childhood, incorporated into our household. 

And last but not least, tonight both Matt and I cast our votes on lots of important things, including whether or not we continue to have a president who believes that all Americans should have access to health care.







No comments: