Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Quiet Sunday

Thanks, everyone, for all the encouraging comments on my last post. Writing about my motivation issues definitely helps- I have gotten my groove back a little bit since then, getting through some school projects I had been putting off.

It's been a quiet weekend around here. Matt's dad has been in the hospital all week- he is okay now, I won't elaborate on it, but it's been an exhausting week. So it's been nice to have a fairly low-key weekend. Yesterday morning Matt and I ran a bunch of errands, and then I worked on homework while Matt went to visit his dad. It's been gray and rainy since Friday, a typical Portland November. There's a big windy storm rolling in just now, and it's supposed to be pretty blustery the next couple of days. The rain is splattering all over the windows quite vehemently as I type this.

This is where I've been for most of today- my basecamp at the living room table, where I work through readings and research projects fueled by lentils, satsumas, and tea:


Matt's been working on progress notes for his job (he's salaried, and tends to fit his hours in across all seven days of the week- he went to the office tonight for a few hours to get caught up before Monday), so we've been hanging out together with our laptops all day. We took a break in the afternoon and walked to the community garden in the rain. We hadn't been over there in a couple of weeks, and needed to get outside.


The parsnips are at several different ages, and all are coming along well. 


The chard is thriving. We cut a big basketful and had a bunch of it in the fry-up that Matt made for dinner.


The cover crops are doing well, but everything else is growing very slowly. The leeks are fine, but the kale and bok choy and beets are all inching along- we definitely got them in the ground a little late in the season. I thought they'd get enough warm weather to get a good start, but I guess not.

Back home, we did a few outside chores, then Matt made dinner and we got a loaf of bread into the oven.


Then I went back to work on a seemingly endless research proposal while Matt got a few more chores done and packed up to go to the office. Now I've burnt out on homework for the night, and when I'm finished writing this I'll wash a few dishes and sweep the floor, and then the house will be in pretty good shape for the week. We fly out to Spokane on Thursday morning, and I have a mountain of schoolwork to climb before then, so I'm going to sign off until after the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope you all have a great weekend with loved ones, wherever you may be. We're looking forward to seeing my brother's new home, and have been reminiscing about our wonderful midsummer Thanksgiving at the Wavehaven two years ago, far away from the cold and rain.


No comments: