I mostly used fabrics I already had. Knowing that this baby would have a big, bright personality, I went big and bright with my fabric choices. I also knew it would be a boy, but I try not to let gender have too much influence on colors and patterns. My favorite tip from the tutorial was to include a "zinger fabric" to really get a color that pops out and catches the eye. After going through my collection and cutting out squares, I ended up buying some bright red and yellow to get the zinger effect.
I think my favorite stage of the process was arranging and rearranging the squares until I got the perfect layout of colors and patterns.
Adding a bright yellow border
I used a double layer of 80/20 cotton/polyester batting since I was machine quilting. Love the feel and weight of it, and it feels a bit more wholesome than the completely synthetic stuff. I used a pale yellow gingham for the backing.
Learning how to use basting pins.
Learning to quilt with my shiny new sewing machine (!!). It was a little cumbersome but went quickly. Looking at this picture, I'm not entirely sure why I was trying to feed all the rolled up part of the quilt under the machine arm rather than turning the whole thing around and sewing from the other direction. Well, you live and learn.
Perhaps not entirely straight corners and quilting, but I'm pretty pleased with the result.
Adding the binding!
Learning how to make mitered corners.
Done! Bright, soft, and a really nice weight for a wee one.
Washed and ready to go. I love the crinkled antique-y look it took on after washing.