Friday, June 21, 2013

The Turnip Experiment

Before two weeks ago, I had never eaten a turnip. I attempted to grow some last year with no success, but had been seduced by a pretty seed packet that warned me against the hazards of a "turnipless" garden. But this year I planted a patch of them early in the spring, and pulled up the first ones a couple weeks ago. They are very pretty, if a little worm-eaten.


I also had no experience cooking turnips. The first couple I threw into a veggie bake with their skins on, and while they were okay, they were still very pungent. So with the next batch, I went to my trusty Fanny Farmer cookbook for help. Her recipe was easy and perfect. Peel the turnips and cut them into chunks, throw them into a pot of boiling water for 8-10 minutes until they are soft (but not too soft) when stabbed with a fork.


Drain them, throw them in a bowl, and toss them with a tablespoon of butter, some chopped parsley, and some salt. They are divine. In the process of boiling, they go from being tart and radish-y to being light and sweet with just a touch of crispness left, rich and so very tasty. I'm completely sold. Easy to grow, delicious to eat. Anyone have other good turnip recipes to share? 


1 comment:

Carol said...

I checked out "Roots" cookbook by Diane Morgan from the library & made this one - I think you can google it: Kashmiri Style Turnips.
Turnips chopped & sauteed until tender with fennel seeds, cardomom,ginger & a diced chili, then add the chopped greens and 2 tbsp cream and cook until the greens wilt.
Yum.... And I didn't have enough turnips so mine had kohlrabi in there too. Delicious.