Tuesday, June 25, 2013

At the Garden

After a week of neglect, I finally went to my garden plot after work yesterday and gave it some much-needed TLC. It has been raining off and on all week, hence the neglect--when I don't have to water, I stop by less often. But now it was time not only to do some weeding and tidying, but a bunch of harvesting too! Seems like everything is ready to eat all at once. Mom and I harvested a few turnips and the broccoli heads when she was here two weekends ago, but this time I got the mother lode, or at least that's what it feels like! Now my fridge is full to bursting with delicious fresh things, and it makes me feel rich.

My riotous and slightly messy plot, pre-cleanup. Green green green!

I love the color of this cabbage. 

Chamomile frenzy.

The peas had gone from teeny-tiny to so big and numerous that the trellis had a significant lean to it.

And my harvest: 


Sad tiny leeks, but hopefully still delicious. I see soup in my near future.


The first of the Red LaSodas. I had them for dinner, boiled served with butter, salt and chives. There are few things better than new potatoes. Can I get an "amen"?

Beautiful lush cilantro. Fresh salsa, ahoy!

Bringing it all home. I think I need a second saddlebag...

No comments: