Friday, September 10, 2010

The Countdown: 8 Days till Departure

I'm still alive, despite the fact that I have barely found a spare second in the last week and a half. Mom and Dad arrived on Saturday afternoon for a lovely long weekend visit, including dinner with Matt's parents (which went brilliantly!) and an overnight trip to Otter Rock, on the Oregon Coast. Mom & Dad have been wanting to see us surf, and the weather was fantastic, the surfing incredibly fun (small waves, but lots of sunshine and good rides). We saw a gray whale (spouts and fluke) in the kelp beds of the headland, and had a wonderful time. I couldn't have asked for a better way to say goodbye to my parents for most of a year. It's funny, we live hundreds of miles apart, talk once a week and only see each other every few months,but it still feels like more of a goodbye to know that I'll be 7,000 miles further away and not see them until next June.

On Monday evening I was called in to assist in the writing and finalizing of the wedding ceremony for my dear friends who will marry tomorrow (!). It was an incredible honor to be included in the writing of the ceremony and be included in the planning and to have my suggestions used. I will be rising early tomorrow to bake apple pies for the reception, and another friend and I will lead the singing of the recessional song. Everyone near and dear to the couple has a part to play in the wedding, though there are no wedding parties. So we will spend this weekend near Salem, Oregon for the festivities, which will also be a wonderful last celebration with all of my friend group from Portland. It will be a simple but beautiful wedding, full of love and community and good, local food and music, and I am very much looking forward to it!

Every other night this week has been filled with something, including a fun going-away party, the last shindig at our apartment before we move. Now we have to fill every spare minute with packing, in an attempt to officially move out on the 16th. Last night I came home exhausted, and just wanting to relax, as I won't have a chance to do that again until we are on the plane next Saturday. Matt, being the wonderful partner that he is, put me in bed to watch a movie while he washed dishes, cleaned the kitchen, and made a delicious dinner. I watched The Young Victoria, which was an absolutely gorgeous movie. By the time it was over, I had some more energy and felt like I had stored up some much needed relaxation!

Now it's back to the grindstone, packing, cooking for the wedding, packing for the weekend, and for the big trip too!

I hope you all have a lovely weekend, and that you find room for relaxation in between simple and meaningful work!

No comments: