Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Different Direction

So here's the deal. 

I've never really written much about personal things on this blog. It's all been practical things, cooking or knitting or gardening, or else travel stories, with very little about my thoughts on love and tragedy and life--and who I'm trying to be in mine. Maybe I've touched on those things in a general sense, but I've been feeling these last few months that I want to share more of these things in a way that doesn't impose them on people, and this blog provides me with a venue to do that. While I am still living quite simply, my life is very different now than it was a year ago, and I have been writing in a different way in my journal, and I've decided I want to reflect that here. So I'm going to transition Frolics From Scratch from being a simple living blog to being a blog about an (almost) 29-year-old woman finding her way in the world while trying not to be afraid to do the things that scare her but will probably actually be very rewarding.


If you've been reading here for the simple living stuff, I'm sure there will still be plenty of that, but there will also be stories of the other parts of my life: my adventures (and misadventures) in the online dating world, how I finally stuck to a set of New Years resolutions (in the form of a bucket list for the year), and the various ludicrous scrapes I get myself into (for instance: the other day on the way to work I rode my bike over some poppers left over from July 4th. I almost had a heart attack. Then I laughed so hard I almost fell off my bike). I might also write about my feelings on certain social issues or current events that I can't get out of my head. But I probably won't do that part quite as much.

There might be more swearing. Hopefully there will be more humor. Maybe I'll get savvy enough to figure out how to post videos and make my layout a little nicer. But don't hold your breath :)


I'm not going to try and write every day, or on a particular schedule (attempting to escape silly self-imposed pressure to post by certain standards set by other blogs. This one is mine, dammit!). When I want to share something, or feel compelled to post, I will. When I don't, I won't, and I'll be okay with that. 

I guess this form of blogging is egocentric by nature, since I write partly to express my own thoughts and process things for myself, and partly because writing is just part of my nature and must be done in some form in order for me to keep functioning properly. But it is my hope that the occasional reader will find something entertaining, useful, or (dare I say it?) inspirational.

Here's to new beginnings. And sunshine. Lots and lots of sunshine. This summer is shaping up to be one of the most fun of my adult life, and I look forward to sharing it with you.

No comments: